Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - #9 for me

My last day of work was last Friday! Yippee! Summer has started, and I have the opportunity to be a full-time mom for a while! Here are thirteen things I've already enjoyed this summer!
1. My parents came to our house to help celebrate my birthday and to take my kids to their house so that I could work the last 2 post planning days of school. It was a fun evening out, and I enjoyed spending time with them!
2. Since Mom and Dad had the kids, RJ and I were able to have some time to ourselves. That never happens! We had a good time eating out, shopping around and (gasp!) TALKING! We still remember how to do that, and I was somewhat surprised that we could carry on a coherent and interesting conversation without constant interruptions!

3. A trip to visit family. We went to see family over the Memorial day weekend. We had a wonderful time staying with my parents and having an opportunity to visit with them.

4. On this trip, we also got to spend a lot of time with my brother and his family. We played kickball with the kids outside and sat around and talked. What fun to catch up a little!

5. Sunday, we went with my parents, and niece to my Grandmother's church to hear her preach. She's retiring (again) this June, so the times I will get to hear her will be more limited. I enjoyed the service!

6. On Memorial day we had a cookout at my Grandmother's house. My uncle grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, while my aunt made homemade ice cream. We talked and visited with aunts, uncles, cousins, and Grandmother. I can't imagine a better way to spend the day.

7. Putting together some puzzles with the kids! We have several jigsaw puzzles and have put one together so far. The second one is on the kitchen table right now. It's been fun to work with one or two kids at a time and talk while we try to fit pieces together.

8. Cleaning out. The kids and I have pitched in together to clean out all three kids' closets and dressers. We've even cleaned out - brace yourself - under the beds! Eeek! We've bagged up 4 bags of clothes for the American Kidney Foundation. It has been good for us to work together and accomplish something important.

9. Reading time. We've snuggled in each day with stacks of books and read. What fun! I know, I'm a geeky teacher.

10. Softball. We are still going to games and practices. It's fun to be outside in the fresh air!

11. The weather is perfect! It's not too hot yet, and we're able to be outside without roasting! It's gorgeous - balmy and breezy!

12. Dreaming. We've been looking for a plot of land on which to build a house. It is a dream for the future, but it's been fun to hunt for land, find it, walk it, and dream about what can be built on it!

13. Hanging out before getting ready in the mornings! I'm not the type to "sleep in." I just can't do it. I've gotten up early every morning. But, it's a huge treat to me not to have to hit the ground running. I don't have to climb straight out of bed and into the shower. I've enjoyed leisurely mornings!


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


5 comments:

Joan said...

I enjoyed reading your list. What a great start to the summer!

MommaBoo said...

Your "Family Time" reminds me of the precious times we have shared with our families recently.

Thanks for sharing your 13!

Happy Thursday!

Special K ~Toni said...

Wow! You have been busy! Mine is up at Being An Air Force Wife!

Raggedy said...

Fantastic post!
Your memorial weekend and birthday sounded wonderful..
Good times..
Thank you for sharing.
Enjoy your summer!
My TT is posted too

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your summer is off to a great start.